This is The Web Optimist’s Top 10 List of SEO Tips from the recent BlueGlass LA conference held in Marina del Rey. Vanessa Fox and Adam Audette provided incredible search engine optimization presentations and these are what stuck out above everything (at least in my opinion).
- The TITLE tag is the most important tag. Ask someone NOT involved with your site to review your title. Is your title what they would be searching for?
- Build your site based upon what people are looking for, NOT the other way around.
- Clarify your business goal, brand objective and value proposition. These are extremely difficult to do, but essential to your success. Answer these first!
- Make sure what is ranking for any given keyword is relevant and not a 404 or non-related page. We’ve all seen these pop up in the serps.
- Solve a problem for your customer. Make sure the page does this with proper SEO and a call to action. It comes down to answering user questions.
- Don’t put SEO front and center. Ditch the the huge list of links. Good SEO is unseen and should be an invisible layer. Make the best user experience, then leverage SEO.
- Give the SEO team the power to do things.
- Give the SEO team their own development resources (This is my FAVORITE!).
- Make SEO part of the work flow, but don’t bring it into the development cycle too early. However, make the SEO team aware of product and value development as they progress.
- Great content + Great User Experience + SEO = Traffic
Thanks to Loren and the whole crew at BlueGlass LA 2010. Fantastic conference!