Facebook games are currently in the middle of a transition from Web to mobile. Both are still very viable markets, however, and Facebook wants to make sure game developers have all the tools they need to succeed on both platforms.
At the annual Games Developer Conference, Facebook announced the launch of the Games Developer Center. Much like its regular Facebook Developers portal, the Games Developer Center collects all the information and tools developers need to create games for Facebook.com, or games that use the Facebook SDK for iOS and Android.
Facebook also announced today that it’s adding a games section to the new timeline that will “give people a way to express their favorite games on their timeline and About page.” Facebook also suspects that the new games section will “serve as another reengagement and discovery channel for game developers.”
Of course, it wouldn’t be a Facebook announcement without some stats and the games team didn’t disappoint:
- More than 250 million people are playing games on Facebook.com each month
- As of February, 55% of top 400 iOS apps are integrated with Facebook
- Last month, Facebook drove 263 million clicks to the Apple App Store and Google Play, from mobile News Feed
- 20% of daily Facebook web users play games on Facebook.com
- Game installs (on Facebook.com) are up 75% since this time last year (when compared to March 2012)
- There are about 200 games on Facebook.com with more than 1 million monthly active users each
- More than 100 developers generated more than $1M on Facebook last year
- Year-over-year growth of the total number of payers on Facebook has increased 24% since this time last year (when compared to March 2012)
- More than $2 billion was paid out to game developers in 2012. Most of our top developers generated record payments revenues on Facebook last year.
Last year, Facebook uploaded all of its GDC talks for developers for those who weren’t able to make it out to the show. If you weren’t able to make it to the show again this year, Facebook should have those talks up within the week.